Tuesday 18 July 2023

His Sixteenth Face


His Sixteenth Face

By Stephanie Van Orman

 

“What's going on?” I whispered, startled in the darkness. “I'm holding you,” Christian explained evenly. Though he was familiar, the feeling of his arms around me was not. He lifted me clean off the bed as if I weighed nothing. In the rocking chair, he settled my head into the space between his chin and his shoulder. His breath feathered down my nose to settle on the moist curves of my lips. I had to remain calm. If I showed I was excited, even with my heartbeat, the monitors would show it, the nurses would come in and the moment would be lost. I had to stay steady, pretend his warmth, his shape and his closeness meant nothing. “Why would you do that?” I asked. Though I had never been given this much of him, already I wanted more—his voice. “Did the doctor tell you something about my surgery that he didn't tell me?” “No,” Christian said, brushing my hair away from my face. It was the blackest blue in the hospital room, but there were dashes of light everywhere: my monitors blinking my condition, the lights from the building across the courtyard, and the strip of yellow light under the door. We swayed in a waltzing rhythm in the rocking chair, almost like we were dancing. The chair was in the room because I was still young enough to be in the paediatric wing of the hospital. When I looked at it, I tried not to think about all the dead children who had been rocked, and felt their last moment of comfort, before they took those fateful steps into the world of spirits. I thought about the bodies they left behind and wondered how long children had continued to be rocked, even after they had left their fragile bodies behind. Christian, my would-be guardian angel, held me like a princess in that chair, close to my monitors. He had never rocked me before, and certainly never visited me in the middle of the night. He should not have been there outside visiting hours, but he was there—the greatest gift I had ever been given. Nights alone in the hospital were the hardest. How many times had I dreamed someone was there with me, holding me? I shivered in my happiness. He pulled a blanket over my body and tucked me in like a little girl, except I was being tucked into his arms—enjoying every moment. He smelled expensive and like the grown-up man he was. He was not holding me because of my girlish dreams. He simply didn't have the heart to stay away. Teenage girls dying of heart disease were irresistible, in that they couldn't be left alone. His feelings for me could not be what I wished. He sat in the chair and held me, a girl so perfectly on the cusp of womanhood, and rocked me as if to lull me to sleep. If I had been dying under ordinary circumstances, perhaps he would not have visited me after midnight. My tragedy was deeper than the death that loomed ahead of me. Three months before, my parents had both been killed in a car crash. It was a thoughtless accident. My mother had been driving my father on a slick rainy night and while applying her lipstick, she slammed into the support beams of a bridge. She killed them both instantly. The wreck never seemed real to me. The problem was that I had never had much to do with my incredibly rich parents. I was always away from them, with nannies or tutors who tried to teach me ballet and how to play the piano. I was only mediocre at any of these paid-for activities. My mother wasn't good at anything, except looking pretty, which she was skilled at beyond belief. Sadly, I contrived to look nothing like her….

 

WANT TO READ MORE OF THIS WONDERFUL E-BOOK BY STEPHANIE VAN ORMAN? OVER 170 MORE EXCITING PAGES JUST WAITING FOR YOU TO DRIFT INTO THIS ROMANTIC FANTACY STORY WITHIN OUR NEW FREE E-BOOK COLLECTIONS LIBRARY IN THE “ROMANCE E-BOOK” SECTION, PLUS LOTS MORE FOR YOU TO EBJOY AND ALL FOR FREE FROM:-

http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and https://thecorner4women.com

SIGN UP TO OUR REGULAR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE KEY TO UNLOCK OUR LIBRARY DOORS FREE IN YOUR EMAIL

https://pub5.bravenet.com/emailfwd/show.php?formid=3909&usernum=386604833

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"SISTERS" by Joanne Boyle

"SISTERS" by Joanne Boyle Remember when we were small and we would enter the world of play? You being the older Sister, always ...