Tuesday 19 September 2023

JUST ONE MORE BOOK MOM


JUST ONE MORE BOOK MOM
(author unknown)

“Can we read just one last book, Mom?”
My girl looked up at me with a doe-eyed pleading that she knew I couldn’t refuse.
I was exhausted.
The day’s work wasn’t nearly done.
There was laundry that needed to be turned over and dishes crusting away in the sink.
Emails to be sent.
Bills to be paid.
I knew if I lay down for another story, I’d be too spent to get anything else done.
But.
I decided that her request was more important than all of that.
Settling in beside her, she nuzzled against my chest.
I rested my chin on her hairline and ran my fingers over her braids, damp and warm.
She loved waking up with wild waves, and I was happy that she still asked me to weave her hair into place.
As I breathed in her softness, I remembered all the advice I’d heard since I became a mother:
“Sleep when they sleep.”
“Feed them what you eat.”
“Read to them every night.”
“Enjoy every moment.”
“Be honest.”
“Teach kindness.”
“Give grace.”
“Don’t blink.“
… and so on.
All great advice.
All things I took to heart.
But then I remembered the one piece of advice that really struck a chord.
“Do it as if it’s the last time…”
And, man… as a mother, as a human… that’s been the one piece of advice that’s made me Live.
Something in the way she said, “one last book…” reminded me.
I had no way of knowing if it really would be the last time she’d ask.
And the truth is, you never know.
I never knew it would be the last time he’d fall asleep on my chest.
I never knew it would be the last time she asked for a bedtime song.
I never knew it would be the last time we’d all eat waffles together on the front porch.
I never knew it would be last time I walked him to the bus stop.
I never knew it would be the last time she’d want me to play hide and seek.
I never knew it would be the last time we danced in the kitchen to their favorite songs.
I never knew it would be the last time he wanted me to stay for practice.
I never knew it would be the last time she asked me to braid her hair.
I never knew it would be the last time he wanted me to pick out his shoes.
I never knew it would be the last time she liked me to lay out her dress for school.
I never knew it would to be the last time I saw him on the pitcher’s mound.
I never knew it would be the last time she’d want to lace up her cleats.
I never knew it would be the last time I’d be taking them to the field.
I never knew it would be the last time I’d have rowdy boys in my backseat before they all had their license.
I never knew it would be the last time I’d be invited to join her slumber parties.
I never knew it would be the last time… until there was no next time.
So, as much as I can.
I’ll take an extra moment.
Look around.
Breathe it in.
Press pause on everything else.
And do it like it could be.
Tomorrow isn’t promised, friends.
Let’s do it like today, like right here, right now…
Could be the last time.

 Brought to you by https://thecorner4women.com together with our sister website http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and our growing e-book library available FREE, through our Newsletter sign up page here:-

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"CAME APART RIGHT AT THE SEAMS" by Becky Hemsley

"CAME APART RIGHT AT THE SEAMS" by Becky Hemsley One time I met a woman With a basket on her arm A basket filled with patches And ...