Thursday 19 October 2023

I WALKED UP YOUR GARDEN PATH TODAY by Joanne Boyle


"I WALKED UP YOUR GARDEN PATH TODAY"
by Joanne Boyle

I walked up your garden path today
and I knocked on your front door.
I asked if you were playing out,
it didn't matter if we were only four.
We could put our babies in their pram
and take them for a walk.
Or maybe sit with a tea set
and our teddies whilst we talk.
I walked up your garden path today
and I knocked on your front door.
Your Mum told you to hurry up
as she picked your bag up off the floor.
We hurried up the bank to school
laughing all the way,
we were ten years old now
and had put those dolls away.
I walked up your garden path today
and I let myself in.
I shouted are you ready yet
as I threw my empty drink can in the bin.
We would quickly compare homework
whilst talking about boys
We had stepped into the teenage years
and started to find different toys.
I walked up your garden path today
it was our last day of big school,
I found you in a heap of tears
because you thought you'd been a fool.
The boy you thought you loved
was the only fool around,
for not realising my friend
was the best he could have found.
I walked up your garden path today
wearing a banner that said bridesmaid.
Together we laughed and cried
at all the memories that we'd made.
We went out and made some more
and wrapped them up in gold,
adding them to the list
of the many stories to be told.
I walked down your garden path today
with you right by my side.
The proudest girl in all the world
to see her best friend as a bride.
It was all that I could hope for
for you to have a happy life
and I never felt put out
just because you were now a wife.
I walked up your garden path today,
there was a different number on the door
but no matter where you live,
we won't forget what friends are for.

Brought to you by https://thecorner4women.com together with our sister website http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and our growing e-book library available FREE, through our Newsletter sign up page here:-

No comments:

Post a Comment

"CAPABLE CHILDREN" by Brooke Hampton

"CAPABLE CHILDREN" by  Brooke Hampton I posted a photo of our 13-year-old doing her end of the month calculations. She handles our...