Wednesday 29 November 2023

SILENCE by Becky Hemsley


"SILENCE"
by Becky Hemsley 2020

It was the Sunday market
And as I wandered down the aisles
An older woman weaving
Made me stop and watch awhile
She wove a little blanket
But the thread she used was odd
For it wasn’t wool or yarn she used
But words pulled from a pot
She threaded up her needle
With a string of “I love you”
And she wove them into “help me”
Braided with “I miss you too”
Then “no” a hundred times
Rose from her pot as silver thread
And I saw that she had named her stall
The Blankets of Regret
And as I stood and watched her then
I saw “I love you” fade
And “help me” slowly disappeared
And “no” began to wane
Her blanket had become a quilt
Of pale translucency
And I asked if I could hold this thing
That I could barely see
I expected light and air
But it lay heavy in my hands
And I had to ask about it
For I had to understand
So I asked “what are you weaving?”
And she told me “everyday
I weave the silence left by words
We’re too afraid to say”
******
Becky Hemsley 2020
Artwork created with Dall.E
'Silence' is from my first collection:

Brought to you by https://thecorner4women.com together with our sister website http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and our growing e-book library available FREE, through our Newsletter sign up page here:-

https://tc4women.nicheebookcollections.com/NEWSLETTER-EBOOK-LIBRARY-SIGNUP.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

"THE INCREDIBLE BABY BOOMERS"

"THE INCREDIBLE BABY BOOMERS" (author unknown) "Many have passed away, and those who are still here are called 'the el...