Saturday 6 April 2024

SILENCE by Becky Hemsley


"SILENCE"
by Becky Hemsley

It was the Sunday market
And as I wandered down the aisles
An older woman weaving
Made me stop and watch awhile
She wove a little blanket
But the thread she used was odd
For it wasn’t wool or yarn she used
But words pulled from a pot
She threaded up her needle
With a string of “I love you”
And she wove them into “help me”
Braided with “I miss you too”
Then “no” a hundred times
Rose from her pot as silver thread
And I saw that she had named her stall
The Blankets of Regret
And as I stood and watched her then
I saw “I love you” fade
And “help me” slowly disappeared
And “no” began to wane
Her blanket had become a quilt
Of pale translucency
And I asked if I could hold this thing
That I could barely see
I expected light and air
But it lay heavy in my hands
And I had to ask about it
For I had to understand
So I asked “what are you weaving?”
And she told me “everyday
I weave the silence left by words
We’re too afraid to say”
******
Becky Hemsley 2020
Artwork by Olga Haidamaka
'Silence' is from my first collection:

Brought to you by https://thecorner4women.com together with our sister website http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and our growing e-book library available FREE, through our Newsletter sign up page here:-

https://tc4women.nicheebookcollections.com/NEWSLETTER-EBOOK-LIBRARY-SIGNUP.html We now have over 1700 e-books on our library shelves for your reading pleasure, so do come along and check us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"BABY STEPS" by Becky Hemsley

"BABY STEPS" by Becky Hemsley We have to stop thinking that we’ve failed every time we fall. When babies are learning to walk, we ...