Friday 2 August 2024

"BIRDSONG" by Becky Hemsley


"BIRDSONG"
by Becky Hemsley

She walked along the pathway
And she hadn’t walked for long
When she met a little bird
Who sang a melancholy song
She listened for a moment
To his sad, enchanting sound
And she asked him why he sang his song
When no-one was around
“I sing to tell the forest
That the day has just begun
And I join the morning chorus
As we’re welcoming the sun
I sing so all the other birds
Will know they’re not alone
And I hum to all the trees
To help their leaves and branches grow
I sing for all the creatures
As they go about their day
And I whistle warnings to the sky
That clouds are on their way”
“But why,” she asked him gently
“Is your song so bittersweet?
Why does it sound like longing
And like yearning when you tweet?”
“I sing to feel less lonely,”
Said the tiny, little bird
“And I tweet into the quiet
Just so I can feel heard
For when the sun is busy,
When the other birds have flown,
When the trees are climbing skyward
Then I’m left here on my own
And I sing to ask the questions
That are tearing through my mind
But I don’t know what I fear the most
Silence… or the reply”
*****
A reminder that sometimes the one being there for everyone else
is actually quite lonely.
Becky Hemsley 2021
Gorgeous artwork by Claudia Tremblay
"Birdsong" is from my first collection https://a.co/d/2EwpQur

Brought to you by https://thecorner4women.com together with our sister website http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and our growing e-book library available FREE, through our Newsletter sign up page here:-

https://tc4women.nicheebookcollections.com/NEWSLETTER-EBOOK-LIBRARY-SIGNUP.html We now have over 1900 e-books on our library shelves for your reading pleasure, so do come along and check us out.

More
articles by Su DeNyme (our resident writer) & John A Elliott are available

No comments:

Post a Comment

"THOUGHTS" by Joanne Boyle

"THOUGHTS" by Joanne Boyle She was often seen playing, humming the same old tune. On a sandy shore, every single afternoon. No ...