Wednesday 1 May 2024

DEAR SON by Joanne Boyle


"DEAR SON"
by Joanne Boyle

Dear Son, I tried to call your mum
in the hope that she would talk.
It's been so long since I saw you.
I bet you can now walk.
Dear Son, I tried to call your Mum
to wish you a happy second birthday.
I prayed and prayed she'd answer.
The years are slipping away.
Dear Son, I tried to call your Mum
but the phone no longer rings.
I hope Santa Claus is good to you
and I'll hold on to what he brings.
Dear Son, I tried to ring your Mum
but it was just as it was before.
I wanted to wish you a happy birthday
as now you are big boy four.
Dear Son, I tried to write a letter
as I'm now guessing you can read.
I have nowhere to post it
as I've never been given a lead.
Dear Son, I wrote another birthday card.
I have a collection in my drawer.
I hope I see you open them
when you come through my door.
Dear Son, now here you are a teenager.
I bet you are very tall.
Who do you support Son?
That's if you like football.
Dear Son, I got some bad news today.
They say that I'm not well.
I'm going nowhere till I've seen you
as there's so much I want to tell.
Dear Son, today you turn eighteen
and now you are man
I'm holding on to life and hope
and still doing the best I can.
Dear Dad, I've only just been informed
of all the years gone by.
Of every phone call that you made
and of all the times you'd try.
I am sorry for the years we lost
and all those letters in the drawer.
I am sorry I was never told
about these things before.
Dear Son, the years no longer matter
just come and sit beside my bed.
Tell me all about your hopes
and the dreams inside your head.
Tell me about your school
and all the friends you made.
Do you have a girlfriend yet?
Do you have a job were you are paid?
Treat moments like gold stars Son
each one as precious as the other.
Don't hold grudges either
especially toward your Mother.
Dear Dad, I'm so glad I got to meet you
before it was too late.
I put a note in your jacket pocket
for you to read at the pearly gate.
It said "I love you".

******
Joanne Boyle Heartfelt

art by Steffi Krenzek

Brought to you by https://thecorner4women.com together with our sister website http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and our growing e-book library available FREE, through our Newsletter sign up page here:-

https://tc4women.nicheebookcollections.com/NEWSLETTER-EBOOK-LIBRARY-SIGNUP.html We now have over 1700 e-books on our library shelves for your reading pleasure, so do come along and check us out.

More articles by Su DeNyme (our resident writer) & John A Elliott are available here: https://www.nicheebookcollections.com/TC4W/ARTICLES.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

"THE LAST BATTLE"

"THE LAST BATTLE" (author unknown) If it should be that I grow weak, And pain should keep me from my sleep, Then you must do what...