Saturday 25 May 2024

SMILE, FORGIVE BUT DON'T FORGET


"SMILE, FORGIVE BUT DON'T FORGET"
(author unknown)

My mother once told me, "If they hurt you, forgive them, but never forget what they've done." This advice has stayed with me every time I meet someone new. But sometimes, it's exhausting. It’s frustrating to show kindness and receive pain in return, and it's disheartening to admire someone only to be backstabbed.
One day, I asked my mother, "Mom, do they deserve my forgiveness?"
She smiled and put down the newspaper she was reading, part of her morning ritual. "Child, everyone deserves forgiveness. If they hurt you once, forgive them. If they do it twice, give them another chance. But if they do it three times, then it’s time to forgive yourself."
Confused, I must have looked puzzled. My mother noticed and laughed, then took my hands in hers. "Forgive yourself for believing in them and getting disappointed. Forgive yourself for trusting too much. Forgive yourself for giving another chance, thinking it would be better. Free yourself from hatred, revenge, and the past."
The next morning, I found her crying in front of my father, betrayed by a friend of ten years. When I asked if she now hated her friend, she shook her head and smiled. "My heart has no room for hatred. I don't deserve to suffer from it. I have forgiven her, but I won’t forget what she did. Seeing me smile despite everything will show her who truly suffers."
Wiping her tears with the handkerchief I had given her, she added, "The best way to respond to someone who hurt you is to live a better life. Let them see what they lost and how they inadvertently helped you grow. We only live once; don't waste time on those who scar your heart. Show them what they missed out on and how they helped you become better."
Thanks to her words, I realized that if it weren't for her wisdom, I might still be haunted by things that weren't my fault.

Brought to you by https://thecorner4women.com together with our sister website http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and our growing e-book library available FREE, through our Newsletter sign up page here:-

https://tc4women.nicheebookcollections.com/NEWSLETTER-EBOOK-LIBRARY-SIGNUP.html We now have over 1700 e-books on our library shelves for your reading pleasure, so do come along and check us out.

More articles by Su DeNyme (our resident writer) & John A Elliott are available here: https://www.nicheebookcollections.com/TC4W/ARTICLES.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

"HANDLE WITH CARE" by Becky Hemsley

"HANDLE WITH CARE" by Becky Hemsley Every woman I know has, at one point or another, sobbed in the shower cried in the car swallow...