Saturday 24 August 2024

"A VISIT FROM MY TWO SONS"


"A VISIT FROM MY TWO SONS"
(author unknown)


At the end of the cold afternoon, I receive an unexpected visit from my two children; one is a doctor, the other an engineer, both successful in their professions.
Less than a week ago I suffered the loss of my beloved wife. I still feel devastated by the loss that changed the course and meaning of life for me….
Sitting at the table in the living room of a simple and simple house; where I now live alone, we started talking, the topic is about my future. A cold runs down my back. Soon they are trying to convince me that the best thing for me is to live in a nursing home….
I react... I argue that the shadow of loneliness does not scare me, and old age much less, but my children insist "worried", they regret that the rooms of their spacious apartments by the sea are occupied and therefore, I cannot be neither with one nor with the other... that's what they say...
Furthermore, my sons and daughters-in-law live very busy, so they wouldn't have time to see me, without counting my grandchildren, they study almost all day, it is impossible.
In my favor, I argue without much conviction that, in that case, they could very well help me pay for a babysitter. In front of me; The doctor and the engineer say that, in reality, "three caregivers in three shifts and all with signed portfolios" would be necessary.
What would be, in times of crisis, a small fortune at the end of each month…
I refuse to accept the proposal to live in a shelter. And here comes another suggestion: they tell me that I should sell the house.
The money will be used to pay the expenses of the home where I will go for a long time, so that no one worries. Neither them, nor me...
I surrender to the arguments because I do not have more strength to face so much ingratitude and coldness.
I close my lips and do not talk about the sacrifice I made throughout my life to finance both of their studies.
I'm not saying that I stopped traveling with the family on walks, frequenting good restaurants, going to a theater or changing cars so that they would lack nothing.
It would not be worth alleging such facts at that point in the conversation. From there, without saying a single word, I decide to gather my belongings.
In a short time, I see a whole life summarized in two suitcases. With them, I embark towards another reality, much harder.
A home for the elderly, far from children and grandchildren…
Today, in the arms of solitude, I recognize that I was able to teach moral values ​​to my children. But I couldn't convey to either of them a virtue called "gratitude."
It's our fault because we are always giving them what they ask for, when we should teach them that they must "earn it"...
As working hard, helping to clean the house, cooking, washing dishes, etc., feeling part of the family nucleus, developing empathy, making them feel that they are loved and respected, so that in their adult stage, they know how to value and learn that things are.
They achieve it with effort and responsibility and show gratitude and love to their parents for having taught them to be good children….
Gratitude must be forged, it is not included in the hearts of humans, unless they have been instilled with love and fear of God first.
They must know that when they become "old" they will want to be well treated by their children and grandchildren. and that is not achieved with money, but with kindness planted in their hearts….
Let's educate our children in values ​​without forgetting to forge bonds of love.

Brought to you by https://thecorner4women.com together with our sister website http://www.nicheebookcollections.com and our growing e-book library available FREE, through our Newsletter sign up page here:-

https://tc4women.nicheebookcollections.com/NEWSLETTER-EBOOK-LIBRARY-SIGNUP.html We now have over 1900 e-books on our library shelves for your reading pleasure, so do come along and check us out.

More
articles by Su DeNyme (our resident writer) & John A Elliott are available

No comments:

Post a Comment

"THOUGHTS" by Joanne Boyle

"THOUGHTS" by Joanne Boyle She was often seen playing, humming the same old tune. On a sandy shore, every single afternoon. No ...